BERRIEN COUNTY, MICHIGAN
ORDINANCE NO. 2014 - ______
AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND THE BERRIEN TOWNSHIP ZONING ORDINANCE; TO AMEND SECTION 300.203 TO INCLUDE A NEW DEFINITION; TO AMEND SECTION 300.500 TO ALLOW CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITIES AS A SPECIAL LAND USE IN THE A-R DISTICT; TO AMEND SECTION 300.602 TO ALLOW CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITIES AS A SPECIAL LAND USE IN THE A-R DISTRICT; TO AMEND SECTION 300.902 TO ALLOW CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITIES AS A SPECIAL LAND USE IN THE COMMERCIAL DISTRICT, TO AMEND ARTICLE 11 TO INCLUDE A NEW SUBSECTION PERTAINING TO CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITIES.
BERRIEN TOWNSHIP, BERRIEN COUNTY, MICHIGAN, ORDAINS:
Section 1. Amendment of Section 300.203. Section 300.203 is amended to include the following terms in alphabetical order:
CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITY:
An enclosed building consisting of individual, self-contained rooms that are leased to individuals, organizations, or businesses for climate controlled storage.
Section 2. Amendment of Section 300.500. Table 5-1 is amended to include a new use in alphabetical order that reads as follows:
|Climate Controlled Storage Facility||SLU||SLU|
Section 3. Amendment of Section 300.602. Section 300.602 is amended to include the following term in alphabetical order:
- Climate Controlled Storage Facility
Section 4. Amendment of Section 300.902. Section 300.902 is amended to include the following term in alphabetical order:
- Climate Controlled Storage Facility
Section 5. Amendment of Article 11. Article 11 is amended to include a new section 300.1151, which reads as follows:
300.1151 CLIMATE CONTROLLED STORAGE FACILITY
Definition: An enclosed building consisting of individual, self-contained rooms that are leased to individuals, organizations, or businesses for climate controlled storage.
Conditions and regulations:
- Climate Controlled Self Service Storage uses shall provide separate storage areas for individual or business uses.
- Accessory uses such as security facilities and related office may be permitted provided that such accessory uses do not occupy more than 20% of the facility.
- Storage areas shall not be used for sales, service, repair, or any other commercial business venture at this facility.
- A climate controlled storage facility shall be located on a parcel with an area of at least three (3) acres.
- The storage of combustible or flammable liquids or fibers, explosive or toxic materials, or illegal substances or items shall not be permitted.
- Outdoor storage is not permitted.
- All self-storage activities shall be contained within a single building and conducted exclusively indoors. Individual storage units may be accessed from inside the building only.
- All signs shall be in compliance with the provisions of Article 4, Section 300.416 of this Ordinance.
- All off-street parking shall be in compliance with Article 4, Section 300.412 of this Ordinance.
- All exterior lighting shall comply with the provisions of Article 4, Section 300.411 of this Ordinance.
Section 6. Severability and Captions. This Ordinance and the various parts, sections, subsections, sentences, phrases and clauses thereof are hereby declared severable. If any part, section subsection, sentence, phrase or clause is adjudged unconstitutional or invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this Ordinance shall not be affected thereby. The captions included at the beginning of each Section are for convenience only and shall not be considered a part of this Ordinance.
Section 7. Repealer. Any existing ordinance or resolution that is inconsistent or conflicts with this Ordinance is hereby repealed to the extent of any such conflict or inconsistency.
Section 8. Effective Date. This Ordinance is ordered to take effect seven (7) days following publication of adoption in The Journal Era, a newspaper having general circulation in the Township, under the provisions of 2006 Public Act 110, except as may be extended under the provisions of such Act.